Ten Years!

It’s hard to believe that 10 years ago today I tied the knot.  It was an interesting day to say the least!  We didn’t have a traditional wedding.  Circumstances required that things be, well, a certain way.

Steve had been in the hospital already for four weeks with an infection.  He wasn’t working and had no medical coverage.  The hospital’s patient advocate was trying to get some Medicaid for him, I think it was.  But, in the mean time, the “vultures,” as he called them, visited daily to ask, “How are you going to pay for this?”  It was maddening and added stress to an already stressful situation.  They wanted to send him home but he would need expensive home care, therapy at the hospital, and continued IV antibiotics.  None of this was something we could pay for.

We were engaged at the time and talking about planning a wedding.  A date hadn’t been selected and no real plans had been made though.  With the situation being what it was, it became a more immediate need.  I headed off to the county office to get a marriage license.  But, they need him to sign the paper too.  There was a challenge.  After some persuasion (and not a few tears) they agreed to send someone to him at the hospital.  Another challenge was who to perform the wedding.  I didn’t have a lot of money.  So, I got a phone book and called a retired judge who was listed as performing marriages.  He was a very kind man.  I will never forget that.  I know he charged me a far lower rate than he normally would.  I can’t imagine $50.00 to be the going rate for a marriage ceremony.  And he didn’t balk at all about coming to the hospital.  I was so relieved and grateful at how easy he made it.

Our little wedding was attended by some family and our best friend who stood as best man/man of honor I guess!  Anyway, we had three little cakes.  There was one from family, one from the nurses, and one from the kitchen!  I had two bouquets of flowers as well and a few gifts.  The hospital sent their photographer up and we had our little ceremony.  When it was all done, everyone gave hugs and left.  The nurses, bless them, offered to bring in a bed if I wanted to spend the night.  But I couldn’t.  I had to go to work, you see.  So, I hugged my new husband and headed off to work.

I must say, it was entertaining that day.  I was dressed up a bit, not formally dressed but nicer than usual.  My coworkers kept asking why I was so dressed up.  They didn’t believe me at first when I said I’d gotten married that morning.  It was pretty funny when they finally believed me though.

In the end, he was sent home and had the care needed thanks to my insurance.  The Medicaid was approved and covered a lot of the stuff that came before that.  In general, things worked out pretty well.  It’s hard to believe it was ten years ago.  It really doesn’t feel like it’s been that long.


wedding flowers